ROTARY is a global network of community volunteers, comprising professional and business people who contribute to build better communities.. Its object is to foster the idea of service as a basis of worthy enterprise.
Some 1.2 million people from 35,000 clubs within over 500 districts in nearly 200 countries carry out service projects in their local communities and abroad to address such critical issues as poverty, hunger, health, illiteracy and environmental concerns.
Based on the Object of Rotary - "Service Above Self", The 5 AVENUES OF SERVICE are Rotary's philosophical cornerstone and the foundation which all Club activities are based:
* CLUB SERVICE: focusses on strengthening Fellowship and ensuring the effective functioning of the Club.
* VOCATIONAL SERVICE : encourages Rotarians to serve others through their vocations and to practice high ethical standards.
* COMMUNITY SERVICE: covers the projects and activities the Club undertakes to improve life within its community.
* INTERNATIONAL SERVICE: encompasses actions taken to expand Rotary's humanitarian reach across the globe and to generate world understanding and peace.
* NEW GENERATIONS: recognises the positive change implemented by youth and young adults through leadership development activities. A major agenda within the New Generations portfolio is the Youth Exchange Program.